Sunday, December 16

Get the Prize

The week my pastor preached a sermon about "running the race," I heard a word when in intercessory prayer for the congregation and meetings (prior to the sermon) to the same effect: Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize 1 Cor 9:24. This word was accompanied by a vision: the runners were mounted on horse.

Interpreting the message, I infer that running refers to fulfilling one's calling, whereas horses represent gifts, technologies, or ministries which help to bear one toward the goal. Whoever is faithful in a small thing, will be faithful also in more (Luke 16:12,19:17); I believe the horses are not yet received, but available to any footman who runs well; this is a qualified grant, accessible to but not appropriated by all, as it is written, many are called but few are chosen Matt 22:14.

Scripture strategy for getting the prize:
  • Realize there is a race, and a prize to win by those who compete (1 Cor 9:24);
  • Believe that God is and is a rewarder of those who seek Him (Hebr 11:6);
  • Accept and retain identity as "my Father's son" (Hebr 12:1);
  • Set aside every sin or hinderance to winning my race (Hebr 12:1);
  • Enter strict training, involving proper diet and exercise (1 Cor 9:25);
  • Avoid persons, sins or distraction that dissuade me from the straightest path (Galatians 2:7);
  • Play fair (Hebr 12:1).

    I'm currently failing in several of these points, and I humbly ask for your prayers, presence, and co-participation, so that I may get up and run again. As it is written: Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12
  • No comments: